Randi’s Blueberry Super Pancakes
- ½ cup egg whites
- ⅓ cup almond milk
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- ⅓ cup blueberries, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch xanthan gum
- nonstick cooking spray
- sweetener of your choice, to taste
- peanut butter, optional (but highly suggested)
- maple syrup
- Combine all ingredients in your blender or food processor. Include half of your 1/3 cup blueberries in the blender mixture, and put the rest aside for now.
- Blend ingredients until your mixture is the consistency of a thick batter. If your blender or food processor has a “batter” option, use that. Otherwise 30 seconds is probably sufficient.
- Spray your pan lightly and pour your batter into the pan.
- Sprinkle in a few of your remaining blueberries into the pancake batter, but be sure to save some for your second pancake.
- Cook on medium heat for approximately 3 minutes. Keep a close eye on your pancake, checking every few minutes for a golden brown bottom. With a spatula, flip when ready.
- Repeat steps 3 through 5 for your second pancake.
- Once ready, plate your delicious creation and marvel at your new breakfasting skills.
- Optional: top your pancakes with peanut butter (my favorite) or (the more traditional option) maple syrup.
Makes: 2 pancakes • Total Time: 15-20 minutes
Chef: Randi Cantrell
Profession: ZCode Media Associate Editor
Family: Husband – Collin; Cat – Kikka; Dog – Kiba
Hobbies & Interests: Writing, strength training/fitness, reading, traveling
Favorite local activity: Hiking, training at Sweathaus
About the Recipe: As a fitness enthusiast, I’m often looking for healthier or macro-friendly alternatives to my favorite foods. I adapted this recipe from somewhere long ago, but have changed it so much over time that I now consider it my own. It’s easy to make and can be changed according to the season – skip the blueberries and add pumpkin puree instead, if that’s your jam. While they may not be like any pancake you’re used to, I think you’ll enjoy what they bring to the table. Perfect as a pre-workout breakfast!
About the Chef: A San Diego native and word lover since birth, I think it’s pretty great that I get to spend my weekdays learning about the amazing residents of North County and spotlighting them in ZCode’s community magazines. During the weekend, I spend my time writing, exploring new spots for coffee or food, and just generally trying to take in more sunshine.